Soviet monuments in the former Yugoslavia
In the sixties and seventies in the Yugoslavian Federation under the communist rule tens and hundreds of monuments have been erected. Most of these astounding, huge and sometimes grotesque monuments were dedicated to the World War II and were built in the places of the significant battles or where the Nazi concentration camps used to be. Despite the fact that the Nazi regime was as socialistic as the Soviet rule over the Warsaw Pact countries, soviets did not hesitate to use the victory over the Nazis in their propaganda as profusely as they can.
Kadinjaca (Kadiniacha) Memorial Complex with the central monument dedicated to the Fighters Workers Battalion. In November 1941 the Fighters Workers Battalion formed mostly from the local villagers of the Kadinjaca and Uzice (Uzhitse) region fiercely resisted here to teh far superior Nazi army. They have lost but their bravery was not forgotten.
1st Partisans Brigade monument in Brezovica. This monument is dedicated to the memory of the first partisans brigade which was formed in Croatian Brezovica forest on June 22 1941, the day the Nazis have invaded Soviet Union. Notable fact: the 1st Partisans Brigade of Brezovica was also the first anti-fascist military formation in the occupied part of the Europe.
Abandoned WWII monument on the Hrib Svobode (Freedom Hill) in the Ilirska Bistrica, Slovenia.
Another strange WWII monument. This time in the small village of Korenica on the border between Croatia and Bosnia.
Nobody knows to whoom or to what this monument in the Nicsic (Nikshich), Montenegro was dedicated. Today it is just another slab of concrete that remained from the era of the Soviet Yugoslavia.